cox graae + spack architects designed a renovation and adaptive re-use of the ca. 1944 Fairlington Elementary School. Arlington County was using the converted historic building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmark Register, as a community center. The County desired to renovate the facility to improve energy-efficiency and to better meet the varied program needs of its surrounding community including: a cooperative Preschool, Fitness and Wellness classes, Visual Arts instruction, and flexible meeting space for neighborhood use. cox graae + spack architects designed the restoration to be consistent with LEED certification criteria applying appropriate sustainable design strategies to the historic site and structure.