cox graae + spack architects designed the renovation and additions to the ca. 1934 historic Woodrow Wilson High School. DCPS sought to fully modernize and reconfigure Wilson to address its deficiencies and deterioration. The school is reorganized and expanded into three venues: Visual and Performing Arts Center, Athletics Center, and Academic Center. Sustainability was a key focus of our approach clearly evident in the incorporation of two green roofs, installation of solar panels and two 30,000 gallon storm water tanks in the school's design. A 75-year-old coal and oil burning three-story power plant was converted into a highly efficient smaller-scale natural gas power system, giving our team the space to transform on story into a state-of-the-art fitness center, now appropriately referred to as "The Power House." Among many green elements and achievements at Wilson is a 74 percent reduction in water use through the redesign. In 2013, Wilson was named a U.S. Department of Education "Green School" and received the Green Ribbon School Award; a title only 63 other schools in the nation hold.